Tuesday, January 5, 2010

You've probably noticed...


I sort of abandoned the idea of finishing The Worst Hard Time.... it was due back at the library, anyway. 

It wasn't that it wasn't good, it truly was, I just got to reading other books and the zest for what happened next just left me. 

If you didn't know, it's about the Great American Dust Bowl, something I didn't care to learn about in school when I had the opportunity.  This book is a great way to learn about it because not only does it give the facts, it gives real people's perspective on what happened and how it affected them.  What I did read was so very shocking.  The way people basically robbed the land of all it's goodness then wondered why the severe dust storms were happening just blows me away.  Some of the dust storms started in OK and KS and blew as far as New York and even out to ships 400 yards into the sea.  Amazing, really.  What also baffled my brain is how this country suffered.  What it all boiled down to was someone was too greedy to lower their prices until no one had money to spend and all suffered greatly.  I fear that's where this country is headed even now, but to those who are prepared, no worries, I guess.  I found it interesting that banks took people's savings money and invested it, losing it all, of course, in the stock market crash.  It really was the worst hard time for America... a time I see us heading into again, if things don't start changing for the better.  *sigh*

One thing's for sure, my family and I are going to get some food into storage, money in our own safe keeping, and stay close to the Lord.  I don't want to be unprepared, that's for sure.

It's a very fascinating book... I hope no one uses the fact that I didn't finish against it.  In fact, now that I'm typing this, I'm going to put it on my list to re-check out and finish, because it really was a good read.  It didn't read like a history book, as it was the story of those who survived the Great American Dust Bowl. 

My mom used to say that those who don't learn their history are doomed to repeat it... this book is something we all should learn from, in my opinion.

On to the next!

No comments: