Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dracula, by Bram Stoker


Took me long enough!

I loved reading this book, as I was doing so mostly to compare notes, so to speak, with those of the author of some other famous vampire books...

This book definitely added a bit more fear and terror to the word "vampire", and sort of diminished the "sexy" glow of my former opinion.  Evil is a good way to describe the main character of this book.  Main? Mostly...

It was written in the form of letters and journal/diary entries, all in chronological order, and each one adding a necessary piece to the vampire puzzle.  At first, a slew of different characters were introduced, but towards the middle and definitely by the end, it became quite clear as to why.

It shed more light on how the world typically sees vampires, and that the legend of such creatures has been around for centuries.  This author did his research at the time, that's for sure.  The tale he wove was most mysterious and fascinating, adding twists and turns to every chapter.  How one could come up with such a story is a mystery in itself to me... what is going through their head that one day they think, hm... I'm going to write such a story as will form nightmares in the minds of many for generations to come! Genius.  That's all it is.

Now I want to see the movie, to see if anyone out there has done this book justice.  For if they have, I'll be sleeping with the light on that night, I'm sure.  ;)

3 comments:

Carrie said...

See the version with Gary Oldman, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Winona Ryder. Gary Oldman is a perfect Dracula and is my favorite.

Jami said...

I tried watching that one... it didn't sit well with me. I thought it was too freely adapted from what the book portrayed. Oh, well, right? At least the book was good! Have you seen the older version? I attempted that one, too, but man! was I bored within minutes! Talk about cheesy!

Anonymous said...

omg such a lovely Book... i love it.. it was like imagining another van helsing movie but with imaginations running wild.. i m a big fan of Mediaeval's stories n especially about Vampires n Draculas.. witches n Wizards..