Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gardening Know-How

Since I haven't been reading actual books, lately, I wanted to share some things I've learned from my info-packed class I've been taking.

Like, for instance:
  • In Wyoming, if you think you have crabgrass, you probably don't.  We generally don't have crabgrass, here.  It's quackgrass.  So, if you live here (at least in my area), and you've been buying the fertilizer that also kills crabgrass, you, my friend, have been wasting your pennies.
  • If you read the ingredients to the bag of grass seed you just bought and skimped a little on the spending, you may find a percentage of WEED seeds included.  Nice, huh?
  • I can look at a flower and tell you if it's a boy, a girl, or both.  ;)
  • Trees never really "heal" their wounds, they just cover them up.
  • Yes, you can just plant seeds and let them grow (they make their own food).  But after that, you have to feed them.  ;)
  • The soil in Wyoming stinks.  Oh, wait... I already knew that.
  • Certain veges like to grow next to other certain veges.
  • When you mow your lawn, you should only mow 1/3 of it's length, and it should always be about 2.5 - 3 inches tall for optimum light, nutrient, water absorbency.  And it's more aesthetically pleasing.  :)
  • You should wait till evening to transplant an already growing plant... and if you are looking to buy a fruit-producing plant that's already grown a little, don't buy one that has fruit on it.  It'll die.  Buy them young.  I've seen first-hand that this is, indeed, true.
  • Weeds are pretty much inevitable.  Seriously.
  • Some weeds are actually desired.
  • Pesticide isn't just for bugs.
  • Kentucky Blue Grass is the best for my area.
  • Soil can be damaged.  Tilling isn't always a good thing.
  • Compost and organic matter are a gardener's best friend.
  • Gardening can be as complicated or as simple as one makes it. 
  • Anyone can be a gardener and I'm so excited to start mine this spring!
I've learned so much more and have a handful of classes yet to go, and these are just a few things off the top of my head.  I've learned SO MUCH.  I love it, too! It's just soaking right in! (It's almost as if my brain is one big patch of sandy loam!) Sorry, garden humor.  Yeah... I don't think even someone who knows what that means would find it funny.... ;)

No comments: