Monday, October 3, 2011

The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd


I so love this book! I read it a long time ago and was given a copy by a friend.  Since I'm still waiting my turn for a couple books at the library, I decided to re-read it.

If you've never read this book, I highly recommend it. 

It takes place in 1964, during the whole Civil Rights Act era.  Lily is a girl who's lost her mother by an accidental shooting she caused, lives with a father who treats her badly, and is being raised by her negro nanny, Rosaleen.  When Rosaleen's arrested for defending herself against the typical racism of that day and age, Lily breaks her free after running away and the two follow clues to a town she believes her mother once visited, once upon a time.

There, she not only finds herself, but also finds the love of mothers in unlikely places.  She falls in love, learns about her mother's past, experiences death of a loved one for the second time in her life, and learns the art of beekeeping. 

It's a beautiful story filled with love, laughter, tears, anger and forgiveness.  I'm glad I already own my very own copy because this is definitely a book I'll be re-reading, again, in the future.  :)

2 comments:

Becka Babe said...

One of my favorites! I love this book, I cant wait until my girls are old enough to read some of my favorites.

Jami said...

I know! I've tried to get Natalie to read Anne of Green Gables or The Secret Garden, but she doesn't give them half a chance before she decides they're boring. I guess I was much older than her when I read them, myself.