Monday, March 19, 2018

Illusions, by Richard Bach

Image result for illusions by richard bach

I finished this a bit, ago.  My daughter borrowed this book from a friend and loved it.  She couldn't stop talking about it or quoting it.  Some of the things she said had me curious... something about a messiah.  We're religious folk so I had to check it out to see what exactly my daughter was filling her head with.

It's an interesting book, I'll give it that.  Nothing I needed to be worried about as far as controversial teachings, by any means.

A man meets another man, both own planes and give locals a ride for a small price.  The first man figures there's something about the other - he feels drawn to him and can't figure out why.  Turns out, the second man is a so-called messiah of some sort.  The first man has the makings of one and is to learn to hone his "skill" from the second who's just trying to live a normal life and not draw a crowd.

One thing I found strange was this messiah basically said everyone is their own messiah, which I do not agree with.  There were some concepts I was on board with, though.  The general message that I did agree with is the mind is more powerful than we give it credit for and we more or less limit our own abilities simply by thinking things are impossible.

This is a work of fiction and was originally published in 1977.  It's not like The DaVinci Code where one ends up questioning the reality of certain notions and ideas, it's just a pointless book about two men who cross paths and one teaches the other about life (or what is reality and what isn't - it's full of fanciful and ridiculous ideas at times).  The author either had some crazy views or some profound understandings about certain things.

It wasn't a quick read for me because I didn't find it to be a page-turner.  It could be a quick read for someone who was more into it than I was, I'm sure.  It was an ok one-timer.

No comments: