Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A Stranger in the House, by Shari Lapena

Image result

My daughter saw this in a bookstore so we checked it out from the library.  She is the one who wanted to read it but hadn't, so I thought I would.

It was ok.  It was enough to keep me reading - it built up my curiosity for the ending.  There was an unexpected twist at the end that left me feeling a little disappointed.  Not that she didn't write it well, I think I just had a certain ending in my mind and when it didn't play out, I felt disheartened.  I don't like how she made the main character out to be.

The author has a slight Mary Higgins Clark style about how she writes, which was good.  I didn't care for her use of the F-bomb but she at least kept it clean.  She did manage to weave a story with pieces of a puzzle that I had to see completed, so I'll give her that, too.

I guess I just didn't like the ending.  I didn't care for the twist. 

If you like thrillers, this is a decent read.  I just don't like the feeling of disappointment it left me with.  It also had me realize I prefer something a bit more uplifting, I think. 

Oh, well... on to the next!

No comments: