Monday, October 16, 2017

The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls

Image result

I finished this a little while, ago, just haven't had the time to post about it.  I saw something on social media about the movie that's coming out and saw that it was based on a book.  A memoir, no less.  So, naturally, I had to check it out. I waited for over 100 people who had the same thoughts to take their turn before I got mine.

It was quite the emotional book.  This woman... I'm amazed at what she survived.  I also think she survived because of what she survived.  Her upbringing and childhood circumstances made her strong... she had to be.  Her brother and sisters, too.

I wanted to slap her parents.  At times I wanted to downright kick them in the head.  I was at times outraged at what they allowed their children to experience and their reaction (or lack thereof) to things they faced.  Unbelievable.  That was the word I often found myself vocally uttering while closing the book to digest what I just read.  Simply unbelievable.  I couldn't believe that this really happened, that it happened when it did, and that it likely still happens for others.  It seems unfathomable, to me.

I want to write to this author and tell her my heart was with her on her journey, though I knew nothing about it at the time.

It helped me see the things we often take for granted.  I complain about my big house being too hard to keep clean.  I complain about having to spend hours meal planning, list making, grocery shopping, cooking.  I complain about neverending laundry.  I complain about having to make my kids' lunches every morning.  I complain about having to pay for water or electricity or gas prices.  This book makes one grateful for all of those things.  Every time my kids complain about what I make for dinner, I'm reading them this book.

I highly recommend it.  It's quite good.

No comments: